Wednesday 7 September 2022

Shopping bag


 This item is an entry in the Stash contest.

The fabric is an remnant of canvas fabric I purchased from the bin at the roll end shop near my previous home. I don't recall when exactly but its more than 18 months ago, probably several years. I'm glad it's finally got used for something useful.

Pattern Description:
1 yard shopping bag, following the instructions I found at Happiest Camper Grocery Bag

Pattern Sizing:
One size

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, though theirs is a fun floral print and mine a dark olive/brown/grey canvas.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, and had pictures too

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Although I could make my own shopping bags, I wanted to try following someone else's instructions to get a feel for measurements and also see if there were new techniques I might try. I thought this worked out really well on both counts.
Note the instructions cut the bag across the width of the fabric, so it is not suitable for a directional print, your motifs will be sideways!

Fabric Used:
A 1 yard remnant of heavy Canvas fabric with a join in it from the manufacturing process. I decided to incorporate the seam into the design, having it rundown the centre of the bag.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
For this version I stuck to the instructions to see what the bag would be like. I found the 30” handles a bit too long when carrying the bag in my hand, so shortened the straps by 2 inches on each end (ie by 4 inches overall)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I would, you may well see some more of these as its a great way to use some of those stashed fabrics which are a bit heavier in weight, just be careful about the direction of any print.

Conclusion:
A great use for a 1 yard piece of fabric.
For the photo I've filled my grocery bag with some of my fabric stash but you could easily use yours for actual groceries.



No comments:

Post a Comment

May Scrappy Blocks